The Tanzania Horticultural Association (TAHA) is an apex private sector member based organization that advocates for the growth and competitiveness of the horticultural industry in Tanzania. Since its inception in 2004, TAHA has been an effective voicing platform for producers,traders,exporters and processors of the horticultural products mainly; ﬂowers, fruits, vegetables, horticultural seeds,and spices. The Association safeguards the interest of the private sector and ensures the industry issues are well mainstreamed at the national and international agenda.
"To develop and promote the Horticulture industry in Tanzania to become more proﬁtable, sustainable, and participate more effectively in the development of the country"
"A vibrant, prosperous and sustainable horticultural industry in Tanzania"
To contribute to the national food, nutrition, income and employment security through competitive horticulture production and marketing systems.
Our core values that define how we work to strengthen the Tanzanian horticultural industry by uniting and coordinating the value chain actors under one roof are as follows;
Solidarity, Commitment, Cooperation, communication, Economic orientation, Social and environment development
TAHA’s Strategic activities
As a catalyst for the industry reformation and transformation, TAHA is engaged in a multitude of activities in a bid to achieve its overarching objectives.Specifically, TAHA;
- Works to improve the business enabling environment in the industry:
- Maintaining positive dialogue with the Government of Tanzania, private sector and Development Partners to ensure that there are supportive policy and regulatory frameworks.
- The above include advancing policy proposals that aim at enhancing trade
- Mobilizing resources for the industry development programs
- Provides technical support services.
- Farmers' mobilization and institutional capacity building.
- Driving innovative farming practices/technologies for improved production and productivity.
- Facilitating access to innovative and affordable finances and other financial services.
- Awareness creation and training on nutrition and gender aspects.
- Facilitate Markets linkages and Trade
- Facilitating access to reliable, profitable, equitable and sustainable markets both national, regional and international
- Provision of industry logistic services such as clearing and forwarding,trucking, cargo consolidation and handling, airfreight bookings and negotiations, etc through its vibrant logistic company TAHAFresh Handling limited.
- Facilitating compliance to market standards, systems and procedures
- Branding of TAHA and the industry through various promotion platforms at local, regional and international levels.
- Ensuring optimal information/communication flow flow inside and outside the industry. TAHA manages an Information System (TIS) in which market prices and other products are delivered to the industry.
This is mainly achieved through following key activities:
TAHA implements a range of technical services to enhance farmers’ capacity to produce safe, and quality products while ensuring consistency/reliable products supply to the markets. Such activities include:
TAHA’s role and responsibility is also to ensure that Tanzania horticulture is well profiled, opportunities are exploited and there is adequate information sharing to facilitate smooth business transaction amongst partners. This among other things involves: